1. You want lower energy bills. As we mentioned above, switching from a manual thermostat to a programmable thermostat can be a great way to cut back on your energy bills. By using the proper thermostat settings, the EPA says you can cut your annual energy bills by 5-15 percent – a savings that often pays for the price of installing a new thermostat.
2. You want your temperature settings changed automatically. Another benefit of installing a programmable thermostat is that you can set your temperature settings once and it will automatically adjust them for you after that. Although you could change your temperature settings manually every day, this can get annoying and there are times when you might forget. Also, a programmable thermostat will have your temperature settings ready for you right when you wake up or get home from work.
3. You want detailed information about the status of your HVAC system. The only information you can get from older thermostats is the temperature in your home. Many advanced models offer all kinds of helpful additional information, such as reminders when it’s time to change your filter and alerts when there are problems with your system.
4. You prefer touch screens to manual dials. Many new thermostats offer touch screen displays, which are both more attractive and easier to use than manual thermostats. Touch screen models also allow you to be more precise with your temperature settings.
5. You’re installing a zoning system. Most zoning systems only work with specific types of thermostats. If you’re installing a zoning system, there’s a good chance you’ll need to replace your thermostat. This will give you an opportunity to take advantage of many of the benefits listed above!